Friday, March 23, 2012

CONCERNS CASHWISE

As published in the Newport (TN) Plain Talk
Release Date – Mar 8, 2012
Column Number - 1210


Unless you have been living on the main island in the middle of Frogpong’s frogpond; you probably have heard about the recent spree of tornados that have wreaked havoc in our midsection.

Big news – big time big news!

Branson, Missouri was hit and hurt by an EF-2 tornado on February 29, 2012. When I heard the word, “Branson”, I (probably like you) immediately thought of the entertainment and amusement centers located there.

One of those entertainers was being interviewed; and he had the gall to make the astounding statement that went something like this (I only heard it once, probably because it was immediately removed from the database of storm coverage): “My fellow performers are all wondering how we will be affected cashwise”.

Say what?

He was probably looking out at copious devastation; and was wondering how he would be affected “cashwise”?????

I was watching the news coverage of the December 26, 2004 South Asian Tsunami on the Indian Ocean; where a couple of tourists were being interviewed; and the guy said with a glint of a tear in his eye that they had “lost everything”.

Now that was sad, don’t you think? But those people had endured massive loss of life, loss of property – they had literally “lost everything” – not just a couple of suitcases and normal stuff that tourists carry on vacation.

I heard an interview with a victim of Category 4 Hurricane “Opal” along the Gulf Coast on October 4, 1995 after he had lost his home. “Yes”, he bravely said, “We have lost everything; but I think we can come again”.

I wanted to shout, “Yes; you can! You can come again! That attitude cannot be broken!

Talk about affected cashwise!

I heard an interview of one of the many City Mayors in Illinois after the recent tornados had flexed its mighty muscles among his citizens; he was asked what was the main thing needed by his town. “The first thing we need is prayer from the nation”.

Can you see some subtle differences in these answers?

One was concerned only about himself “cashwise”. One was totally oblivious to the needs of all others around him. One was showing inner strength and resolve. One was spiritually attuned to his needs for prayer.

Having been misquoted in the press before, having had microphones shoved in my face from way out in left field, having been an “information officer” in a time of high stress, I can certainly sympathize!

I just think we need to be clear when we disseminate information! Please make no mistake about it, I carry press credentials from Baptist Press; but I also carry credentials to tell the wonderful news from God Almighty and I think we ought to make it clear; not sneak up on somebody; not trick anybody; not back door unsuspecting souls.

My news is the “Good News” of Jesus Christ; and I want to make it abundantly clear – up front and personal - that Jesus The Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life; and there is “no other way whereby we must be saved” than through Him!

And that is far better than any “cashwise” or “suitcase” concern.



These columns are written by Tom Mooty, Pastor of Newport’s West End Baptist Church; and all comments can be sent to tommooty05@comcast.net or P.O. Box 851, Newport, TN 37822.

-- 30 --

No comments: