Thursday, April 19, 2012

SOME STUFF I BELIEVE

As published in the Newport (TN) Plain Talk
Release Date – Mar 29, 2012
Column Number - 1213


From time to time in these weekly visits; I have shared one or two of the eight or nine things I learned in my seven years in high school, and the many and varied seminars, conferences, and classes to which I have been privileged to sit in front of some of the greatest sacred and secular teachers when God has placed in my path.

In short; I have leaned some stuff!

I know that it was fun growing up here! It was a hoot knowing the “Third Street Gang”, the “Jones Hill Terrorist”, the “Knob Hill Boys”, and the “Frogpond Freedom Fighters”.

I know that we have had some great people here, regardless of what you may have heard or read. I am happy that the majority of my sacred and secular teachers lived correctly – whether they were in front of me or not. The same thing can be said of several of my classmates; many of whom are still alive and still living correctly still today.

I believe we have had six thousand years of human history since the Garden of Eden; about four thousand of which have expired since the world-wide flood of Noah’s day.

I believe the Bible was inspired of God in its original manuscripts – totally inspired of and by God who was alive then, is alive now, and always will be alive and well! I believe the same God who authored the Scriptures called about forty men from three continents to write His Word over a span of fifteen hundred years; and has also preserved that Word in a reliable translation which we can trust as truth, very truth.

I memorized the verses from the King James Version (1769; not 1611 – oh please!) with “The Bible Ladies” when they came around to our school; recited them to my teachers; and got my free week at Camp in Elizabethton. That Bible was preserved through the sweat, tears, and blood of many martyrs whose only “crime” was to desire a reliable translation in the language of the people.

I believe that the miracles happened and I do have to explain how. God did it and that settles it for me; I need no other explanation. For instance, I believe the Red Sea parted and the people went across on dry ground and when it rushed back in again, the water was deep enough to drown the entire Egyptian army.

I believe the Jordan River likewise parted (at flood stage) and the Israeli went across. I do not need an earthquake or rock slide upriver to explain it; it happened because God spoke it.

I believe the ax head “swam”; although I do not necessarily have to see it doing the “breast stroke”, I do believe that it “floated” at the whim and will of God.

I believe that Jesus The Christ (“Yeshua Ha Meshiach”) allowed Himself to literally be taken, arrested, tried, convicted, beaten, and subsequently crucified for no other reason than to pay for and bring about the forgiveness of my sins and yours. Frankly, if He didn’t want that plan to proceed, all He had to do was snap His fingers, speak a word, pray a prayer, think a thought, or whatever; and He would have been instantly back in His Heavenly Home with The Father. He allowed that entire scenario to happen because that is exactly what He came to do in the first place!

I believe Jesus The Christ was in the borrowed tomb for three days and three nights, or seventy-two hours; and came forth from among the dead ones to show that The Father had accepted His Sacrifice of Himself to take away each and every one of our numerous sins.

I believe Jesus Christ to be the unique begotten Son and sole Savior of the soul of each and every man, woman, young people and old-enough child – no matter where they are found or located. I further believe that He will be returning to get His Children sooner rather than later; and then will return to this earth to establish His Kingdom of one thousand years followed by Eternity.

I know, I know; that’s pretty simplistic; if you can say that about something as complex and complicated as the Salvation proviso for each and every person in the world who has the good sense to accept Him as Savior and receive His Salvation.

Don’t know how? I do, and I will share!

These columns are written by Tom Mooty, Pastor of Newport’s West End Baptist Church. You are invited to forward these posts to friends and family around the world. All comments can be sent to tommooty05@comcast.net or P.O. Box 851, Newport, TN 37822.

-- 30 --

No comments: