Tuesday, August 30, 2011

MY FRIEND HUGH AND HIS BIG OLE UGLY DAWG

FIVE MINUTES WITH TOM MOOTY

As published in the Newport (TN) Plain Talk
August 18, 2011
Column Number: FM 1133


Unless you have been living under a rock somewhere; you might just happen to have heard about this Saturday, August 20 being “Lt. Gen. Hubert Smith Day” and Sunday being “Viet Nam Veterans’ Day” in Newport.

While these might not have been the most widely publicized special events we have ever had; the career of my friend Hubert Smith from Smithville, a suburb of Nough, a suburb of Slabtown, a suburb of Del Rio, a suburb of Frogpond, Tennessee has not been well-publicized for the most part either. Hubert (excuse me, General Hugh Smith) has kept it that way on purpose because, frankly, he has been just too modest to leak it.

That other group, the Viet Nam Veterans, have neither been well publicized nor honored for a variety of different reasons: some things you just don’t talk about; and their war was so “unpopular”. Excuse me, but no war, conflict, or “police action” is “popular”, particularly to those who are drafted to go fight it!

I’ll let Hubert (excuse me, General Hugh Smith) have his privacy about his military career – and, by the way - his more recent work with the relief efforts in Haiti; but the honor for that group known collectively as “Viet Nam Veterans” should be shouted from every soapbox, tree stump, platform, and pulpit in the area.

Most of you know my story. Officially and Technically, I served in the Military during the Viet Nam ERA; but I did not set foot in Viet Nam itself. Yes, officially and technically they tell me I qualify as a “Viet Nam Vet”; but only because of a set of dates, and certainly not because of anything else!

I remember the first time I saw a “Viet Nam” patch on an US Army Ranger’s sleeve. It was in the mess hall (excuse me, chow hall) (excuse me, dining facility) at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida, and I asked him about it; but he simply and gently replied, “If you haven’t been there, I cannot explain it to you”. He needed his space.

I served with several old non-coms who had served in World War 2 and the “Korean Conflict” and were winding down their service. One sergeant had been taken prisoner in Germany; but it was not a topic about which he wanted to talk. He needed his space.
.
Tom Hollingsworth was one of the first Rangers (observers, advisors) to land in Viet Nam. His platoon named Highway # 9 as “The Ho Chi Minh Trail” from their observation posts and their cryptic radio communications: “Ho’s boys are on the trail again”. Tom spoke in a “God and Country” Rally at Cocke County High School back in the 1970’s. He used his experiences over there to try to call America back to God and Country; but he did not go into detail. He needed his space.

When they were discharged or furloughed, many of these brave soldiers, sailors, and airmen had to sneak through airports in “the land of the free and the home of the brave” to avoid ugly demonstrations by the misguided and uninformed members of the free citizenry.

No, I was not there with boots on that ground! Yes, my information comes second-handed or third or fourth-handed because most of the guys that were actually there will not talk in any detail about it. They need - and deserve – their space.

One friend who served in Viet Nam started to talk about the treatment he and his comrades received when they came home – then abruptly stopped and said, “That is my problem, and I will have to handle it”!

Another friend was awarded a medal for extreme bravery under fire – single-handedly saving lives – and no one knew anything about it until it was awarded thirty-five later!

I have some friends whose names are on “The Wall” in Washington. Enough said; but I cannot say enough about the men and women that have served, are serving, and will serve until “The Prince of Peace” comes back and puts the quietus on all these wanna-be dictators who must be held in check by our marvelous military.

When I am asked to speak on these special days, I usually close with a line in the film: “The Presidio” in which two old soldiers are talking and one says something to this effect: “The military is like a big ole ugly dog that nobody wants around until trouble comes; and then when trouble comes, the first thing you call for is that big ole ugly dog”.

Please come quickly, Lord Jesus – The Prince of Peace!


Tom Mooty serves as Senior Pastor of Newport’s West End Baptist Church; and can be reached with your comments at tommooty05@comcast. This column can also be accessed on the church’s website: www.webaptistchurch.org (click on “pastor’s blogs”).

-- 30 –

No comments: